I too think the inspector is wrong, except perhaps for item #9.

There is good reason for much of that stuff not being GFCIed. You don't want the sump pump getting shut off during a storm, for example.

I don't see that there's a lot of room for an "everybody wins" compromise. Somebody needs to straighten out this inspector, or he's just going to keep going around making people do stuff that's not reasonable. Unfortunately, it looks like it's fallen to you to be that "somebody."

I'd think the best way to proceed would be to carefully document each issue with the code sections that permit things to be done the way they've been done. If necessary, you could also illustrate the points with what various handbooks have to say.

I note that many of the points you list are really the same issue, so you can probably get this down to a list of three or four issues that are really under dispute.

I would avoid the "assigning blame" approach, and instead take the approach of, "OK, here's issue #1. The Code says "xxx" about this. So, under the Code, what Mr. EC is doing is acceptable." Then see if you can get the inspector to agree on that point, or get him to prove, from the Code, why you're wrong. (He won't be able to.) Then move on to the next point, and repeat the process.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 12-22-2004).]