I love solving problems like these. I wish I was on site with you. It's a real challenge to figure out.

I will assume the AF breaker was changed with a new one to rule out a bad AF breaker.

I will also assume that NO knob and tube is controlled from this panel.

If so, sounds to me like a neutral touching the ground *somewhere* in the system. I don't doubt that your work was 'wired correctly', but unwittingly its possible when screwing in a receptacle or making a connection that the ground and neut. are touching.

I would start by going to the first receptacle being fed by the AF breaker and see if that ONE receptacle works ok. Apply power and load see if all is well. Then work your way down the circuit to the last recep.

IF you work your way through all the AF controlled receptacles and all is fine. Then I've seen ONE case where a receptacle NOT on the AF system had a neutral/grnd contact and cause the AF to trip.

If, after doing all of the above you still have problems, then I would wait for the PoCo to apply power to the new service to rule out the jumper issue.

I wish you the best, let us know how it goes.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 12-15-2004).]