On the respect issue..... I had to think about this before I start ranting.

And that is important!

If one can not command it, demand it!

I too have noticed I must demand it more lately, as some people think that because your collar is blue, or don't have one that you might be some how below them. I just will not accept that! From the begining I would not tolorate peole speaking to me in any tone that was below me. Not to say that I have not quit jobs or been fired from them either.

But respect seems to come with knowledge, and exeriance, and only as a token with age. Or so it seems.

As a lowly 2 year Sparky, its like being Rodney Dangerfield.

4 years, some people still treat you like you're 18, just coming of age.

As a Foreman / Field Supervisor some would only tolorate some your demands, or sometimes not. (I have refused to work for some Generals, and they likewise some have asked not to have me back too. Not because of my work, but I would beat it out the details from them, and refuse to install sub-standard work, or cut corners. Some Arch's, GC's and EE's have said things like , "Thanks for catching that", or "You mean theres a Code for that? I guess we should do it that way." Then again, some will throw the nose in the air as to avoid your stink, and 'HOW dare this PERSON speak to me directly." I don't work for those people anymore....)

As an Owner/Operator everything was great. Once contract is in hand, they have to respect you authority for the work you perform, at least until the end of the project. I was in charge of my own show. In charge of my own work, and people would approach you differently for the most part, and those relationships that gelled well worked great, others did not. Won customers and lost them for the same reasons above. Also not in business anymore either! (Not the only reasons stated here, but all the other factors of the economy and starting small as well.)

Bottom line and cliches:

"If one can not command it, demand it!"
And if you do so....
"If you talk the talk, you better know how to walk the walk."

Granted: I have been at this for 15 years, and I learn something new all the time. I'm not afraid to say I don't know something. But I'll guarrantee I know more about the topic than the average shmuck by the next time I see you.

And ECN is a good resource for that.


Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason