It hardly seems fair that for 6 months Certified Electricians will be competing with non-Certified Mexican Electricians, if I'm reading this right.

Illinois has state testing for plumbers, and the plumbers charge more than the other trades, charge for estimates, etc. When I call a plumber I expect about a $200 minimum. So in the end thinning the herd can be good.

I squeaked by the last test with a 93/100, so I might get lucky again. I feel a little sorry for the younger ones trying to get in. I self-studied 200 hours (in a few months)to get a license. They'll have to work for someone 4 years to get it.

I have this nagging feeling that it won't quite accomplish what it indends though. I see a lot of Mexican crews in other trades and know they're low-paid, & uninsured. With a Spanish NEC it's only a matter of time before they're doing electrical work. I really don't think the low-paid & uninsured will disappear with this certification testing. Low-paid foreign workers have always been a profitable part of the American economy (including my ancestors).

Dave