does that type of inspector create a backlash where good ECs end up telling people they should think twice about getting a permit because of the inspector?
You're darn straight it does.... "Oh that is so and so's district.... PUNK Factor x 1.5" We used to have an Inspector that would show the hand, not speak to you until he walked the job looking for frayed cords on the site, and red tag you for another inspection, when he would expect them to be removed from the site. Then come back, pull out slips of paper with the supposed relevant code number on it and drop them on the floor near where he thought there was some type of violation, still not talk to you, then leave. After his DADDY retired, the Cheif Building Inspector, he thankfully became a thing of the past as well. That was the worst I have ever seen, but have seen only nearly equally bad ones since. Fortunatlely, they are few and far between. There is nothing like a power trip.

In saying that, I should mention that I have come across many good Inspectors, who don't just go for the job card and leave either, but actually Inspect work, and don't get all premidona about it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason