Steve, I too work alone, and have for about 4 1/2 years now. I have learned to adapt and think of things that have really helped to save steps. Even though here recently I am trying to consider a different strategy. It does seem that if a good supply of work is available, that with at least one helper you can make more money. As it was stated in some of the above post, that one man can only do so much. My experience is that working by yourself, you only make wages usually at the best, not a whole lot of profit. Usually to get a job, you have to cut your price. I do my work, my office work, my accountant work, everything [Linked Image] I have two sons, but they didnt't have an interest when they were young. Now that they're older, and know better now, I can't afford to pay them what they need, being inexperienced. But I like the freedom and with the knowledge I have, it's hard to work for another man, and anyway I can't live with what they want to pay me.
So all said, I keep on trudging alone. My problem seems to be advertising and getting my name out there. Good business usually requires a certain amount of investment. Knowing when and where to make your investment in advertising can make or break you on a limited "capital". If a lot of capital is available, then advertising in the right way can bring your name to the public, thus allowing more work, then the opportunity to hire good help. Of course with more work and employees comes more financial obligations ( taxes, etc. ) I guess the best way to start out would be to "sub" out work, then of course you would be paying out good money to experienced sub's, and you better have your job priced right or you'll be paying him more than you make [Linked Image] I'm sure some of the others that have employees can give us much more information on these areas. So if you have any areas of help, I'm sure it would benefit the rest of us "loners" out here. So anyway, back to the drawing board [Linked Image] I guess that's the risk of being in business. Maybe they could give us some pointers to help our business grow [Linked Image] Some make it big and some make it small. So we do the best we can [Linked Image] So all said again, we keep on pushing right alone. So, next job, here I come. Certainly makes you use all the resources that The Good Lord has given you in your brain to get it to come together [Linked Image]