I have been saying this for a long time. The hardcore "buy American" people are hard to convince though. I agree that something made in Japan is much better quality as compared to Taiwan or China. Like you said though, even Japan made stuff is getting hard to find.
I will buy American (or Europen) whenever possible, even at a higher cost. You do get what you pay for.
The world is becoming a global market. Look at the sticker on you Dodge. It will tell you where it was made and the origin of the parts. See what percent is actually made in America.
My wife's new Nissan was made here with a certain amount of parts made here. It's more of an American car than some from the big three. What about joint ventures between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Ford and Mazda. Chevy and Toyota. How many "American" cars are re-badged imports. That's OK I guess. As long as the name is American.
OK, I hear folks now. "All the profits go over to *%#@& Japan." So what? How many UAW workers are kept alive from Nissan, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes? The same workers who's jobs were lost in the 70's & 80's by GM, etc. .

The tool market is one that personally bothers me though. I hate the fact that the Milwaukee chop saw is made in China. I won't but it. I don't care if it's $179. I'll pay $300 for a quality one.
I don't buy Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Metabo, for the price. Porter Cable is one that is still mostly made in the USA. I have about 12 PC power tools, from a circular saw to belt sander, nail guns and a biscuit joiner. All made in the USA. Let Harry Homeowner buy a B&D Firestorm battery drill made in China, I don't want one.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein