Myself, and another Lead are are tackeling a job that has an Automatic Closing Fire/Smoke door. Of the large roll-up gate type. And we cant figure out where we might find some info on this...

Does the door need to be able to close under all of the following conditions?

1. No power.
2. Smoke /fire conditions
3. Unattended

I suspect it does... But unsure of where to find it.

Anyone know of something in a NEC, UBC or other code.

This is the Main Entrance to a show room within a building, with other fire exits guided by signage.

What we DO know, is that it needs to close in Smoke condition. But unsure if required with Power off. (Outage condition) And, unattended.

I'm sure requirements may have changed since the last time I had to deal with one more than three years ago. Things I mentioned, have been issues on other types of fire doors in this building. We have other door like it, but were put in the 50's, before anything like that would have been required.

Figured the guys installing it might have known a bit, seeing that they install them all the time. But, besides being a bit clueless, (didn't have a concept of what I was talking about)they tore apart the cieling on it's first operation. Cause the limits weren't set, it went in to the cieling, they lowered it, and tore the rock off.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason