Hello folks,

I am new on this forum and first of all I would like to thank you all for the amount of great information I found here. I've been searching the net for infos and I found all the answers here.

I'm 34 and I have been working with computers for quite a while. Even though it's been a good job, I am planning to change over to electrician. I read the posts here on the good and the not so good parts of this trade, the sometimes challenging physical demands, the many safety issues and I am still here, just as willing [Linked Image]

I just started taking some online courses for electricians. I have no doubts that the hands-on experience is the one that counts, but I figured I could make myself more interesting to potential employers by learning a few things about the trade, even if only theoretical for now. I would like to
offer more than my willingness and enthusiasm in the beginning. In about five-six
months I'll start looking for a shop willing to teach me the real thing.

I've been wondering about my chances to start an apprenticeship in the present economy. Is your feeling that things are tougher nowadays for newbies to get started ? Since I am flexible, are there parts of the US
where the chances to get started are higher ? I figured people here are the ones who really know best how things are going.

Last but not least, I would appreciate if any of the Canadian posters would share some information about the situation there. There is this tiny little chance that I will end up there.

I hope that you won't mind my long winded posting. Thanks again [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by aro (edited 06-17-2004).]