Just a fine point here - but I believe the code (NEC) has one main concern, and that is the prevention of electrcially caused fires. All other safety aspects are not strictly code issues.

I too have met many electricians who do not know what an amp really is, or how to compute much of anything in the electrical field. I have also met many brainiacs who could not bend conduit worth beans. And as one who taught basic electrician classes at a local community college for 20 years or so, I would never discourage anyone from getting some education. However, as a foreman running crews, give me journeymen who can install electrical work without thinking overly much about how it works.

That said, the journeymen were never asked to size anything or choose products to install. Our journeymen had sufficient training and education to know when something is wrong or unsafe. Foremen, project managers, field engineers, and electrical contractors should all have an understanding of how electricity works. Foremen & contractors should also have superior installation skills (not saying all do).

Just my 2 cents worth,
Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.