Wow just had another unbelievable hottub call. Customer says spa (above ground)needs a motor. When I get there he says the handyman already verified the motor was getting power but wouldn't run. First I go to check the breaker. Opening the panel I find a single pole 30A breaker with a red and a black #10 from a 10/3 romex both landed on the 30A 1P. It's also not a GFCI breaker, nor does the spa contain one. The romex also is buried. And even though the load is 24A, the nameplate calls for #8's. Oh, and did I mention the spa is 240 VOLTS???
So then I ask if the spa EVER worked. No, he says, he got it used and he and the handyman installed it.
Well after I explain that a 1 pole breaker will not provide 240 volts and run through all the other violations he says, so if you put in a bigger breaker it will work? without any concern for all the hazards I just rattled off.
So I tell him I can't make it work without taking care of the other issues he decides to pass. I'm sure by tomorrow the handyman will have put in the 2 pole.