I am an Electronic Technician in the Kansas City area. I graduated in 2000 with an associates degree. After 3 years I have decided this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. Being only 24, that is a LONG time to suffer at a job I dont enjoy. I make $17.93/hour and that is not a bad salary for my age, or so I am told. I like the money but it's not worth the money if I dont enjoy the work.

I have been trying to think of careers I would like to pursue. I love to make or build things and work with my hands. I loved shop and advanced shop class in jr high and high school. I built my iguana a cage last summer and am currently planning a cage for my other iguana. Here are some pics of the cage I built:
http://www.planetlong.com/iguanas/habitat/

As you can see I am somewhat skilled with my hands. I dont mean to brag but I think it is good for my first big project. I have started planning all the electrical part of the cage and luckily found a local hardware store that is closing down and had everything 60% off! I was like a kid in a candy store! I only bought what I needed for the cage though. I plan on going back to see what "toys" I can find.

Ok I guess I should get to the point. I was thinking about going to electrician school and change my career. I had an appointment with Vatterott College yesterday to see if it is something I would like to pursue. Any advice would be great! Pros and cons to being an electrician, anything you can think of to help me decide if this is something I want to do.

I found out I should start an apprenticeship instead of paying the $26,000 that Vatterott College charges for tuition. I really dont know much about apprenticeships. Can anyone help me out? I am also concerned about the starting pay of an apprentice. I make $37,000 right now and live by myself. I want to either stay in Kansas City or move to the St Louis area where my boyfriend lives.

Thanks and I look forward to any advice!

Any advice on the electrical part of the cage I am planning would be cool too. Here is what I plan to do:
http://www.planetlong.com/iguanas/images/elisa%20wiring.JPG

Thanks!
Elisa
(url removed)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 04-29-2004).]