Hi Joe! I'm about 300 miles North of St. George. St. George is just over the border from Arizona. If your headed that way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the climate this time of year, and if you have time, take a minute to enjoy some of the scenary outside of town. Drop me an e-mail when your around and I'll see if I can't make it down there. [Linked Image]

As far as raceway fill goes, the EGC must be counted because it consumes some of the volume of the conduit. When I think about raceway fill, I am thinking that we are trying to protect the conductors from damage while in the process of installing them. With that in mind, the EGC counts. Note 1 to the table tells us that the raceway fill section is dependant upon a moderate number of bends and length of pull. That is why you can load a nipple with more wire...your not pulling the conductors, but instead you are pushing them...much less probablity for damge.

As far as the ampacity adjustments go, the EGC need not be counted as a current carrying condutor because, under non-fault conditions, it does not carry current. The only issue that I have is that, in my opinion, if you have to increase the size of phase conductors and grounded conductors becasue of ampacity adjustment, you must also increase the size of the EGC, as per 250.122(B).

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City