Let me say first say that Bjarney has pretty much covered it very well!

Next, I will get the "Defaults" over with:
<OL TYPE=1>

[*] The PE learns the NEC while doing the Internship - as an EIT / FE - how's that for an Acronym assult!,

[*] The BSEE and term "Electrical Engineer" does not by default always mean an Engineer involved with Power Systems - very few EEs will be in our field,

[*] One does not have to be a Licensed PE to create proper "E Sheets" for a Planset - the EC may Design/Build Projects,

[*] PEs and ECs should have 1 on 1 discussions often, as the two sides equal into one output - if one side fails to perform correctly, the entire project suffers,

[*] Per the last item, I would like this to be a reality 100%, but most likely this would be a hard goal to achieve,

[*] Lastly, I fully believe the PE / EE should have at least a couple years experience in the field, performing installs.
</OL>

With those things being said, I would like to edit the list order of Joe's prereq' items above.
I list in matter of importance - first being most important, 10 being last to learn:

1: 8. Building Electrical Design and Plan Review:
Learn just whaddaheck is going to be done, and how to relay important design information to the installer(s).
Also describe that the NEC is not always the default code minimum, but there are Local Codes which override the NEC minimums.
Along with this, make clear that even the Local Codes (Local AHJ) minimums may be "beefed up" in the best interest of the Client, and to verify these with esatblished standards / specs, with the client / client's reps., and/or within the firm where the EE is employed,

2: 7. Electrical Inspection and Recognizing Violations:
This should be reviewed after all 10 items are covered, but introduced briefly at the begining to show how to go about spotting and editing non-compliant items,

3: 9. Hands on training using tools, etc.:
To show how things get put together and be able to reference tools for discussions with the Instaaler(s),

4: 10. Learn how to use and find information in the NEC.:
As mentioned earlier, it is so much easier to find an Article when you know where to find it!!! Also to cover the 9 chapters, tables, the stuff in Article 90, and the Index,

5: 4. Wiring Methods and Materials:
Explain the various methods and their names,

6: 1. Conductors for General Wiring, Wire Fill, Cables, Cords, Raceways, Cables, and Definitions:
This area is a major one for any EE!,

7: 2. Overcurrent Protection, Transformers, Generators, and Emergency Systems:
Here's the 2nd part of the most important items for the EE!,

8: 3. Grounding and Bonding:
Get this one going towards the end - due to so many disbelieves, inaccurate notions, and other pseudo-electrical engineering influences which most likely have been induced on the newbee EE!
This area may take as much time as the preceeding ones, but after the EE has been thoroughly "Re-Programmed" or "Programmed" to understand the CORRECT TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF AC SYSTEMS GROUNDING, then things may move forward smoothly!
[Linked Image]

9: 5. Hazardous (Classified) Locations,

and

10: 6. Health Care Facilities:
Last areas to cover.

After these items are discussed and understood,

11: Keep your Eyes, Ears and Mind open at all times!!!
Do not become highly arrogant, nor become a tool for the firm he/she works within!

12: Never stop learning, studying, asking questions, or keeping current with the NEC / Local Codes and the Theories and aspects in Electrical Engineering!

I'll stop here, as this subject will get me pumping out another miniseries message!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!