I am planning a new web site. I would like opinions about listing prices for common services on the internet or other places.
The ads would be just our normal prices which I think are about inline to a bit cheaper with our area.
Of coarse I would have some disclaimers at the bottom like “prices starting at”, “call for details”, “prices subject to change”, or “some restrictions apply”.

I want to do this for three reasons:

1. To help qualify my sales calls so the customer has at least an idea what a small job might cost. I am a small outfit so I spend most of the day at a job. I hate calls during the day from someone that thinks we can do a job for almost nothing. I want to avoid this by advertising some of my prices.
2. When I am on the internet looking at other things I have much more interest in a company that has open up front pricing. Some companies want your information so the can contact you back with a price. Most of the time I don’t give them my information and go on to the next site.
3. On small jobs I don’t like to spend the time to give an estimate if there is no intention of us doing the work at the time. On sales phone calls I will just ask a few questions and give a standard price. Maybe the ad price can do this for me. I can’t understand how some EC can spend the time to go to the potential customer’s house to price out something like cutting in a bedroom ceiling fan in an area where every house is the same.

I was told it could also be bad to advertise my prices.

1. The customer might start with what they saw on my web and go around to other EC until they get a lower price by saying can you do this for any less than this.
2. Any other EC in my area that finds my prices may have an advantage over me.
3. If my prices at too cheap I might build up a cliental of penny pinchers.

Also I was wondering if some of you had limits for going to a new potential customer’s house for a free estimate on small jobs.

Tom