I can follow the feed and it goes towards the switch first. The reason why I say towards is because I lose it in the wall. I know that it doesn't come strait from the panel. The crawl space in the ceiling is large enough for me to follow the conductors. I understand your concern. And you are right, I probably don't understand the circuit as well as I should. I believe this is because who ever did the electrical work before did not do it to code or the norm. We have found dead circuits through out the house, switches that do not go to a light socket or receptical and the oddist one I have seen yet is unsheathed conductors for a central heater running along the interior wall and going into the front of the panel. Not the rear, which is very easily accessible and only about 8 feet away from the heater. I appreciate you responses and understand that without being able to actually seeing what I am talking about and with my some what vague descriptions it is very difficult to advise somebody confidently.
Thanks
Tim