SlamTex,
First-off, good luck.
I am one year into my second effort at building an off-hour business, with hopes of self-employment. My first try, from 1989-91, was abandoned in favor of the security my day job provided. My situation then was similar to yours now. However, I quickly discovered the down side to all those sayings, such as "you'll never get rich working for someone else" and "if I'm going to work hard, it might as well be for myself". The down side being the reality of being solely responsible, all the time, for the whole business. I wasn't ready for the commitment then. I was 30 with no kids. Now, due to another merger, my day job is in jeopardy for the third time in 4 years. I now have 3 children, though, and am giving it another try. Some of the old negative feelings are back, but I am more motivated this time. I don't know where it will lead. I may just not have what it takes (whatever it is)to be a contractor. I probably would prefer a secure, maintenance job with a large manufacturing company, but those seem to be a relic of the past, so I will make another attempt at it.
BTW,
Make sure you have liability insurance (it is reasonable) and obtain the required licenses. This will set you apart from those who are doing "side work" and legitimize your business.
GOOD LUCK.