When I was an engineering student, I got a summer job working for facilities maintenance. That eventually led to taking over for one of the "real" mechanics while he was hospitalized for a couple of months.

One day, I was fixing a window in a student dorm's lounge and overheard a bunch of freshmen engineering students studying for an exam. They were stumped on a calculus problem I had studied two years prior.

So when I was done, I, wearing my university housing uniform, set my toolbox on the table where they were working, and explained line intergal theory, helped them set up the equation, and solved the problem for them longhand with a pencil I borrowed from one of the kids.

They sheepishly said "thanks" as I walked away. I figure they started worrying about the employment opportunities for engineers on that day.

I completed 3 years, ran out of money (actually ran out lots of times so the 3 years took me 5), got married, had kids, bought a house, and never finished my last year although I planned too.

But I'm still in facilities maintenance.