Unfortunately it seems like more and more you don't have an option because everything is made overseas and the warranty is over as soon as you open the box.

The distributor (can't really call them manufacturers anymore) don't have any spare parts to send to you either - you have to return the entire device and get a new one, if you're lucky.

I had that happen with a store-branded window fan I bought from K-Mart years ago. One of the two fan motors failed. I was able to find out who the original manufacturer was and called them to see if I can get a new motor.

The response was "no, we don't have any fan motors or parts to send out. You have to send the entire fan in." Luckily the thing was still under warranty (I had bought it two years before and lost the sales slip) the lady said and to just wrap it up and mail it in.

At least I got a whole new fan...but it still seemed like such a waste of plastic and metal resources. A $5 motor would have gotten the entire thing running again. I'm sure the one I sent in ended up in the dump.

By the way, just because something is made in the U.S. of A. doesn't mean it's good quality. Remember when all the wall sockets that used to be sold here were made here?

Those things used to crack and break even if you looked at them the wrong way. [Linked Image]

The sockets coming in from Mexico seem to be made better -- even the housings on the cheap 50-cent Home Depot ones don't crack like they used to...