Hallo Everyone. I am kinda new to the forum here but I do have a bit of experience in Electrical...actually more of Electronics really.
Ok I'll get straight to the point here...I live in the US in a pretty old house that has only two pin outlets (110v) all over the place. I changed some of the outlets to three pin recently, but I noticed that there is no ground, so I went ahead and just used the Live and Neutral without the ground, so none of my grounds are connected...I needed the three pin outlets to plug in stuff that had three-pin plugs. So the sockets just have the Live and Neutral, though I did notice a grounding rod outside the house going in to the Distribution box outside with the meter...
Ok I then recently bought a UPS, and upon connecting it, it won't work and an indicator showing that there is a fault in the buliding wiring lights up, I checked the manual and it says that it (the error indicator on the UPS) will light up if the Live and Neutral are inerchanged or there is no ground. I am pretty sure its the ground issue, since I know there is no ground.
Now my question is this, what would you suggest I do to have a ground even if it is just on one outlet just so that I can have the UPS running...the house owner wouldn't help me saying they can not do anything, so I am pretty much on my own here. A friend of mine told me that since there is no ground wire, I could short out the neutral and ground in the outlet to get the UPS running, but I am a bit scared to do that, lest it blow up the UPS or something else in the house...so I wanted to find out first if it will be ok for me to short out the neutral and ground at the outlet

Please any response or suggestion will be highly appreciated!!!
Thanking you in advance,
SSS