Kale:
have to throw my opinion in here. Use caution when buying lamps (bulbs) from the dollar store, I've seen import ones rated for 110V. They don't last long at all.

Yup. I always pop open the box and check the print on the bulb. Also hold them up to the light to make sure that the filaments are intact (you can sort of see through the frosting). [Linked Image]

It's not only off-brand dollar store bulbs that are sometimes rated for 110 volts, mind you. Last year I saw one supermarket in the Harlem district here in New York City that was stocking some 110-volt Sylvania bulbs -- 75 watt clear ones. Our voltage is roughly between 118-121.

Well known scam. I've told my mom about it also....

Hey, I wonder what makes the regular household General Electric 75 and 100 watt bulbs only last 750 hours while their (cheaper) off-brand competitors and even Ikea's rebranded bulbs last for, and have a life of 1,000 to 1,500 hours printed on the package? Hmmm....

GE _does_ stamp its bulbs as 120 volts....but the filaments are not properly supported (they sag and break) and I betcha they actually design the bulb for 110-115 volts. Crooks.... [Linked Image]