What I now think 380/220 means is:

-if you have a 380 volt three-phase Delta feed, you connected the motor leads for a WYE.
-If you have a 220 volt three-phase delta feed, you connect the motor as a delta.

In both cases, the actual voltage that appears across one of the windings is 220 volts.

Yes!

My best guess is this is nominally 220 volts phase-to-phase which should give 127 volts from each phase-to-neutral if the supply is a true Wye (neutral not from a tapped Delta). Due to various other load imbalances connected to the system, I am not getting exactly 127 volts

Where are you? Haiti? It would be an unusual system in the US, but not outside it. (That's why they design the motors for it. [Linked Image] )

The final problem is what to do about 50/60 Hz. Assuming the speed increase I get by operating a 50 Hz motor on 60 Hz is not a problem for the application, do I need to increase voltage to the motor by (60-50)/50 = 20% to compensate? 220 VAC * 20% = 44 volts. 220 + 44 = 264 VAC?

If you need the full torque. If the motor is oversize for the application, it might not be necessary. If you increase the voltage you will get more power, which means more heat dissapated in the motor. This doesn't have to be a problem as the fan inside the motor will also rotate 20% faster, improving the cooling.

{Edited after rereading Jim's post to remove irrelevant info}

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-16-2003).]