Oh,, I certainly agree with you there!

Apart from the reflexive reaction to condemn ignorant handymen, I blame the industry for this situation, at least in part.

Code language is surprisingly silent regarding manual transfer switches, focusing instead on elaborate automatic switches with load-shedding, exercise cycles, and so on. Even generator suppliers are pretty silent about transfer mechanisms. Manual switches are hard to find, and often wildly overpriced.

What Joe Homeowner probably wants is a simple manual switch, one that mounts next to the panel and has switches for perhaps six circuits. And, of course, a proper “inlet” for connecting the generator power cord. These things exist; even at today’s prices I suspect you’d spend about $800. Are, simple, and you can keep the lights, microwave, and furnace running.

But you can’t buy something if you don’t know it exists, or where to buy it. Just try to buy a power inlet device or even a 240V/30A cord cap at the supply house! Small wonder “suicide cords” are so common.