I am sure they would just use it and then verify they had a decent signal strength at the equipment. They hooked up to the cable I ran in the house with no comment. I was sort of surprised they didn't say anything because it was their orange flooded cable that I used. They left a spool of it sitting in the HOA lot next to mine for a month and I was mowing around it. Then I moved it to the corner of the lot near the utility pole. After another month I put it in my shed.
These folks are not the sharpest pencils in the box anyway. About 15 years ago when I fired them I cut the overhead drop and left it in the right of way. I gave then the modem back in a DSL box. That drop stayed there all winter and in the spring I cut it off as high as I could reach so I could mow. For about 2 years after that they were working up on that pole just about every week. This unterminated cable was hanging in the air 25' from where they were working. Finally I felt sorry for them and asked if they had an ingress problem. That got his attention and I pointed to the wire hanging there. I didn't see them after that.

Greg Fretwell