I don't believe I have ever seen one of these "legally" hooked up when monitoring an entire service or electrical panel. They require not only ct's for the lines being monitored but also a physical connection to each phase. Inevitably, the "electrician" will stub the meter feeds into the main lugs of a panel or into an existing, often large, breaker already in use. The meter requires in-line fuses, and the tap rule is an option. However, the main lugs, in many cases, are unfused (I know some people don't like these wires termed this way) so a tap rule would not apply. And only certain items are allowed on the service line side of equipment. Also, lugs are rated for not only number but size of wire. Usually, the install will fail for both of these reasons. The wires would need to be spliced before entering a breaker lug too. The only correct ways to feed such a power meter appears to be providing its own breaker or creating a splice with wires to an existing breaker. However, whenever that shared breaker is turned off (perhaps to service the equipment it is feeding) power will no longer be monitored. Large MDP's may not have a practical way to add a two or three pole breaker. Some people may tap a lug to the main buses, but what manufacturer is going to give the OK to make that mod?
Any input/comments?