That "fill up" must be a New Jersey thing. I never see a soul when I fill up. It is a card at the pump and fill it yourself.
I will grease the trash man if I have something really ugly for them to haul away like a big pile of construction debris ort something and my barber gets $5 or so. The cute girl gets $7.

(haircut is $13 so I give her a $20)
Other that that it is mostly just servers in bars or restaurants.
My biggest tip ever is after Charley when the company my wife was building houses for sent over 3 Mexicans to help us clean up. I gave all 3 $100 each. It even freaked them out but it was worth every dime. It took one and a half 18 wheeler FEMA hort haulers to haul all the tree debris away. They had cut it all up and dragged it out to where the claw truck could get it.