This sort of thing came about from the UK, some years ago and it used to mean that
the police, ambo's would wear these jerkins over their normal uniforms, so that they could be seen at night.

Then the fire brigades, when they replaced the elderly looking uniforms they had, started having reflective stripes all over everything, although, the NZ Fire Service always had reflective rank markings on their helmets and still do.

Now, it's got totally out of hand, if you look anywhere in society these days, you actually look out of place if you DON'T wear Hi-Vis gear.

You have builders, plumbers, electricians, you name it, not able to get on site unless
they are wearing either a bright yellow or orange coat or at the very least a jerkin.

My point is, if you are inside a building during the day, where there are no moving vehicles (which is why the jerkins and general Hi-Vis was thought up in the first place), how does this make you safer than what you were before?

Our school-kids now have to don bright pink + reflective stripes, in the playground, if they go out on the foot-path (side-walk) to run around and exercise, they need to change into bright yellow + reflective stripes.

This in my opinion is nothing but bollocks, jobs for the people that make these jerkins and the people that manage this sort of stuff.

I really hope that the US isn't going to go this way.

Your thoughts?