Do you still use staples that are the bent-style? I haven't seem them on a new install so they look 50 years old to me. The switch at the bottom of the picture has paint on the ears. It looks like a mix of new and old. It would take a half hour to sort out that pail and to put the stuff into boxes on the truck. I'd be pissed if my employee threw away good stuff but once it's in the pail, I understand.

I don't like it but I throw away material, too. A small storage compound cost me $2,000 per year for rent. I decided that I could throw away $2,000 per year and quit paying to store it. I save the income tax on the inventory and I don't have to spend my time, every year, counting it. The insurance was about $100 per year and that cost is gone. The compound was a 10 minute drive and I made it at least once per month so that drive and the associated cost is gone.

The first guy I worked for kept everything. He had employees to do the counting and sorting. After, we would take the crap and throw it in a job site bin because he checked the bin at the shop. I learned a lot from him, including what not to do.

The feeling that "this will come in handy" might not line up with the business reality.