A recent discussion on a German forum prompted me to update my knowledge on US wiring practices and the NEC. Can you tell me what the requirements for the inspection and initial testing for new wiring in domestic and small commercial buildings are (I'm aware that they'll likely differ across states but I assume there's a general basis in the NEC)?

To give you an idea what I'm talking about: most European wiring regulations seem to require visual inspection and beyond that a series of tests and measurements - typically dead-testing insulation resistance at 500 V DC and continuity of all earth and bonding conductors at at least 3 A test current as well as impedance of all earth electrodes and then live-testing loop impedance (i.e. measuring the voltage between all live and earth conductors both without load and under a 10 A load and calculating the impedance from the voltage drop) and trip time and current of any earth-leakage protection devices (GFCIs). Further tests may be required for special systems (e.g. ring continuity in the UK and other countries that use ring mains).

Are there any similar requirements in the US or are you satisfied with visual inspection and checking the correct wiring (polarity) of outlets?

The debate came up regarding the appearance of AFCIs in Germany and the absolute lack of appropriate test equipment for those devices.