So, I was thinking last night. Since I'll be going with NEMA 6-50R outlets Mostly because all my welders are factory NEMA 6-50 plugs. I was thinking I could get away with running a 2/3 SOOW SO Portable Outdoor 600 V Flexible Cord instead of the 4-4 SOOW SO Portable Cord.

The (2 AWG 3 Conductor cord) is around the same price as the (4 AWG W Conductor Cord) I was originally going with.
For some reason, I just thought it might add some safety to the build if I ran 2 hots-Neutral & Gound to the subpanel instead of 2 hots and Ground.

Then I started thinking Wait if I'm running 4 NEMA 5-15 The Neutral will be needed.
I sometimes over think things. However, with electricity I learned at a young age you can't be too careful.

I'm I correct in this I can't get away with the 2 Pole 3 wire cord?
Will I have to stay with the 3 pole 4 wire cord?

I also wanted to clear something up.
The maintenance DEPT at my place of employment is trying to tell me I need to bond the Neutral and ground in the Subpanel.
I have installed a few subpanels in my day.
My understanding has always been when it comes to the Subpanel you don't bond neutral to earth ground. One if you neutral and ground are bonded the Ground is flowing current. as far as I'm aware ground should never be used for current. It will also cause the box that the ground is bonded to becomes live. if you touch the box and a ground of some sort it will light you up. This is how I was trained. However.

The Maint department manager is trying to tell me otherwise. It makes no sense to me at all. however, he does have me second guessing myself.
Am I wanting to confirm I am right in my thinking?