A homeowner asked me to take a look at a Lithonia wall pack (TWS) that wasn't working. This light, mounted at the back of the house, is used as a security light for a rather dark and hidden area of the backyard. Even before I attempted to determine the reason the light no longer worked the homeowner made it obvious they would prefer a LED light instead of the 70W HPS. When I asked why the owner replied that they felt it ran too hot which caused the lens to warp (I didn't see the lens since they had it removed before I arrived). After looking at the way the fixture was installed, horizontally instead of vertically due to variations in the siding and conduit running out the bottom KO to a remote photo eye, I thought the simplest fix would be to retrofit the fixture with a suitable LED bulb. I called a local supplier with the details and was a little surprised when they quoted me $125 CDN for a 18W LED (2160 Lumen and 4000K). Another option was to buy a Lithonia TWS LED wall pack for a few dollars more although it is only rated for a 1000 Lumen. I then inquired about a $25 18W LED (Cree brand, 2160 Lumen, and 4000K) and what the difference was between it and the $125 model. The sales rep said it had to do with "optics" and that in the right fixture it would have more "punch"...? I do not know what brand the $125 LED bulb was but I do know that it is meant to replace a Metal Halide or HPS and that physically it is different in appearance than the cheaper incandescent looking LED. Other than that does anybody know if there is a significant difference in light output and light quality between these equally rated but substantially different in price LED bulbs?

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne