Originally Posted by Potseal
I can't complain.

Unionized.

Work hours are 7:30 am to 4 pm, Mon. to Fri., and weekends off. They provide us with Arc Flash rated uniforms and we get $150.00 towards work boots each year. All our tools are supplied. Sometimes we are provided with training for various job related technology. We HAVE TO take Arc Flash Safety, Fall Protection, and Lift Training classes. Wages are about $32.00/hr with various benefits and pension plan. Recently we were given a quarterly "retention bonus" of $2000.00.

Yet, some guys still complain. For me, it's the best job I've ever had.

A little context would help. $32 Canadian is $24 US. A couple years ago, we were near par but low oil and potash prices really hurt the Canadian dollar. It might be more accurate to say that high oil an potash prices inflated the dollar and now it's back to where it should be.

The glut of contractors is reminiscent of the 1980s when the economy tanked. Everyone who gets laid off or isn't getting full time hours gets a contractors' licence. It's a last effort to stay in the trade, or in the area. It's sad to see people spend their savings on new trucks.

I think Potseal and I are in the same city. There is a house for sale on every street.