I am a solo act myself. I started out that way and when I got too busy my wife quit her job and came to work for me in the field. She is good help and a quick learner. We had a blast working together doing custom homes and light commercial such as Dr.'s offices and autoparts chain stores. We also did a lot of grain bin/dryer work and some industrial. When she was pregnant and too big to fit through the scuttle hole I partnered with another solo electrical contractor on large jobs. After she had our second daughter she came back to work having studied for the Block Journeyman's test while she was off. After 2 more years we decided that our youngest wasn't doing well at daycare(needed a full-time spanker)so the wife stayed home and I continued solo. About 2 years ago an electrical contractor friend of mine who is also solo had a 4 acre building to wire for a light manufacturing company. He had hired a young man to apprentice and it wasn't working out. He asked me to sub-contract for a couple of weeks. It turned into a couple of months then a couple more then "if I buy you a golfcart would you stay?" so I did. This company has 9 acres under roof, all air conditioned, and is constantly growing and changing. I'm busy there nearly every day. It's an electrician's dream job and I'm still a contractor, not a company employee. When I do have slack time I still do service work and grain bins.