I'm sure most of you are like myself and work with other trade people outside the electrical field. Recently I spent a lot of time working shoulder to shoulder with a plumber while trying to troubleshoot a commercial steam oven. It was a great experience since I was given a bit of an eduction on water flow pressure, control valve troubleshooting, water softening systems, water filtering systems, etc. In exchange he had an interest in what I was doing as far as troubleshooting the electrical components. On top of all that we both had to get up to speed on boilers, steam production, turbulence, pressure differential settings, detection probes, etc.

My typical experience is that when different trades work together they are tolerant of each other but generally try to stay out of each others way and don't care to ask what the other guy is doing unless it might affect his own work. I'm a little different that way because if I have a moment I like to know what the other trades are doing and see if I can gain a better understanding of systems and how it all ties together. Therefore, this job was a great experience because I believe both the plumber and I think the same way. To top it off we solved the problem and the steam oven is back in service.

What has been your experience working with other trades?

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne