Originally Posted by dougwells
yes someone recently installed a yamaha R-S500 amp and it is shutting down. I did not turn the amp on as wouldnt want to be the one that blew it up smile

the have both right and left channels feeding some existing 70v volume controls.

I would like to find a diagram how 4 of these controls can operate 4 areas of the restaurant. I did mention the amplifier was non compatible. this is a mono wired system.

I see in the specs it can do 2 ohms.

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/stereo-receivers/r-s500__a/?mode=model

Ok, some serious issues here:

1: Are both right and left channels' outputs tied together into one mono line? If so, that is a HUGE no-no..they are lucky the amp hasn't already blown up. You can NEVER, EVER tie two or more amplifier outputs together!! Your first step is to disconnect one channel from the system.

2: Since the output of each channel is only 75 watts it is still the wrong rating to run a 70v line directly. It may work, but it will be stressing the amp and speaker's transformers unacceptably.

If they want to keep the Yamaha, your best (and least expensive) bet is to get two of the Peavy transformers I linked to in my first post and use one transformer on each channel of the receiver to drive the system. Since you mentioned four controls, are there four "home runs" to the receiver location? If so, get two transformers, one for each channel, and hook two runs to each transformer.

If there is only ONE "home run" to the receiver location, use one transformer and connect it to ONLY ONE CHANNEL of the amplifier. Leave the other channel disconnected.

If the controls are AT the receiver location that makes this a lot easier...get two transformers, and connect one transformer to each channel of the receiver. Then connect TWO of the volume controls to the OUTPUT of each transformer. DO NOT tie the outputs of the transformers together..it is unnecessary and can cause the transformer(s) or receiver to fail.

I would like to find a diagram how 4 of these controls can operate 4 areas of the restaurant.

Remember what I posted about how the system works...think of each volume control (and area of speakers) simply as receptacles (or loads if you prefer) on a branch circuit. Each volume control is like a switch (or dimmer actually) controlling a set of speakers in each area. The single mono feed you mentioned is the branch circuit.

Try not to over-think this too much....sound systems can be complicated, but the setup of a 70v system is, by design, simple even when a large number of speakers or control zones are involved. smile

Last edited by mxslick; 01/25/15 06:43 PM.

Stupid should be painful.