Hello.

I manage an apartment building and I have a photocell front door light that is flickering on an off every quarter of a second.

It has a photocell that points down from the fixture. It is happening when it is night time and there is no natural light.

It is using a CFL bulb.

I have the same light in front of 20+ other apartments in the same building configuration and reflective light situation and none of the others have ever had this problem.

I have swapped the light fixture out with another identical fixture and get the same flickering problem.

I have tested the voltage coming to the light and it is a constant 120v (no flickering of the voltage).

If I put black electrical tape over the photocell, the flickering stops and it stays on.

If I take the tape off and shield the photocell with my hands (to block any light reflection) the flickering starts again.

By the way, when I first install the new fixture, it does not flicker right away but starts after a few minutes.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem other than keeping the tape on there and therefore having the light on 24/7?

Thanks for your help.