I may have come into this from an unrealistic position since I went from IBM to state inspector with a few inspections a day, maybe 60-80 miles apart but I kept a 1 hour window for 8 years.
On the flip side of this, as a builder my wife says Lee County Florida hit that 1-2 hour window most of the time, even when they left the office with 30 or 40 cards (in the "happy times", 2005 or so). I do question how much actual inspecting was going on but postponing them would just mean 50 cards tomorrow. The up side of their job was they might have 20 cards in one neighborhood.
I do understand that a lot of guys simply failed the job on the first thing that looked funny and "catch you tomorrow".

I was very happy that I never had that pressure on me. I could hang around and really get a good look at things. After a few times actually climbing around in the overhead and opening boxes people understood this was more fun than a job for me.
I would usually wait to see the fix if the guy was ready to do it. That made the paperwork easier for everyone.

Greg Fretwell