Originally posted by electure:
I just saw a show (House Doctor) where they used a tic-tracer to check a receptacle to make sure the power was off, and then took down a ceiling light. Other such DIY shows have the "experts" perform all kinds of safety and code violations (how about a recp cover/key hanger combo?). I think this is irresponsible and possibly deadly. I'm firing off an e-mail to HGTV. Anybody else have any ideas??

You are right that guy Ron Hazelwood is the pits, I have been writing him for 2 years now. Especially after he showed how to wire up a Ceiling fan with two switches, he ran two no. 14-2 romex inorder to have a second conductor for the second switch, and deadended one of the (neutrals)grounded conductors. My question to him was, Why not a 14-3,Duh,,, I never received a reply, I pointed out the idea of all conductors in the same conduit, raceway, etc, and since you cant parallel anything smaller that 1/0, and believe it or not this guy has a DIY book out to help other homeowners get into the same trouble. He is oblivious to any critism regardless of right or wrong. You would think that the show would have a cautionery note try this at home at YOUR own risk.