Typically, the _Path Of Egress_ shall be illuminated to an intensity of not less than 1.0 Foot-Candle at the Floor Level.
(this is a brief version of a General Note I insert on all Plan Sets)

The Code Section of reference: - Section 1003.2.9.1, is per the 2010 CBC (California Building Code). I am unsure of the corresponding Section in the Model Code - which, if I remember correctly, should be 2009 IBC.

An additional note:
The _Path Of Exit Travel_ shall be identified by Exit Signs, per applicable Code Section (on my Projects, the reference is CBC Section 1003.2.8).
Locations of Exit Signs shall be in accordance with "applicable code Section" (on my Projects, the reference is CBC Section 1003.2.8.2).

I am not sure if Places Of Assembly require Emergency Egress Lighting intensities higher than 1.0 fc at the Floor Level. It has been several years since I compiled a Plan Set for Places O' Assembly.

Nevertheless, plan to use Linear Fluorescent wherever possible, maybe some "Bug-Eyes" at Exit Points.

If the Ceilings are >15 Feet, plan to have at least (1) F32T8 Emergency Lamp every 8 to 10 Linear Feet, above the _Path Of Egress_.

A Lighting Power Application - such as "Visual" may be used for determining the minimum Egress Lighting layouts.
Obtain the "IES File" associated with the type of Fixture(s) you plan to install, enter the IES Photometric File in the Application, and plot away!!! smile

Wish there was more I could add.

Good luck!!!

--Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!