Aaaaarrrggghhh!

(ahem) Ok I feel a little better now...

Too make a long story longer...

...The "other guy" was too expensive for my customer's tastes, at $71.00 per hour.

Sooo...

The house is full of daisy-chained quad wire going from junction box, to phone box, etc. ad infinitum.

The office phone jack has a two-line phone, a fax machine on line 2, and the Brouter for the ADSL.

Upon advice from "the other guy", Customer wanted me to "merely" run a short run of CAT-5 to the Junction box, which was a short 15' run, and have only line 1 and the DSL coming to the office. Me, I opted to rather run the CAT-5 all the way to the NID (50'+), and keep lines one and two as well as the ADSL, which was the original prefered option.

Customer had to go to a meeting, and we had no chance to test...

I told him three things could happen...

1) He could log in on the DSL, pick up the phone, there'd be no interference, and all is good.

2) He could log in on the DSL, pick up the phone, there would be the same interference.

If #2 occurs, I told him we'd need to:

1)Disconnect all other phones, faxes, etc. from NID and see if hum/hiss persists... Then:

If hum persists:

1) Call Telco, it's on their end.

If hum doesn't persist:

2) Replace ALL lines with CAT-5 in Star configuration (not daisy-chained).

I fear that the existing Quadwire will still bleed... The ADSL signal goes throughout every line 1 and not just the one going to the Brouter, right?

He's not happy.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 02-06-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI