A customer of mine has an existing in ground pool. Was there when he bought the house. Recently had an inspection by AHJ for a "Rental Permit" renewal.

Town inspector says it must be GFCI protected.

Problem: It is not cord and plug to pump. There is a sub-panel in basement. 2 pole 240v 15amp breaker. Goes to a switch located at cement slab where pump sits (it is at least more than 6 feet from pool water edge). 12/2 with ground from panel to switch. The 240v pump is hard-wired directly to box where switch is and the pump is bonded to ground. First off the switch is a regular switch and a regular switch cover plate. Should be water proof switch. That part is not too hard to accomplish. But inspector says the circuit must be GFCI protected. How do you protect a 240v pump with a 12/2 wire from the breaker box. My knowledge tells me you need a neutral in order for a GFCI to even function. Am I mmissing something here? Looks like the pump/pool is about 12 years old. Is the pump double insulated; does that make it safe? Normally don't do pool installtions.

Thanks for any suggestions and hints.

Last edited by AFJES; 08/30/13 03:27 PM.