I note that there is absolutely no provision for anyone to propose any changes to the code cycle.

Let's face the truth: the NEC is in the hands of a handful of paid folks, who are bound to do their employers; bidding. Who else can attend the conventions? Who else can even introduce such a change? Unless you're part of NFPA management, your opinion just has no bearing. period.

NFPA members sure don't have any say. I spent years as a member, and watched the NFPA take all manner of organizational positions- without even once consulting with the membership. Heck, I never even heard from the "committee" I was supposedly part of, and my letters went unanswered.

Market forces? Why do you think the NFPA has worked so hard to isolate themselves from any market accountability?

The only thing that threatens them is political action. Hence, the intensive lobbying every cycle for everyone to immediately accept the newest version, complete and unamended. Hence, the endless efforts to get other NFPA codes accepted as law - and their rabid opposition to public ownership of "their" laws.

Heck, we could roll the code back to 1960 with little ill effect. After all, what has changed? GFCI's? Ufer's? What else?

I'll bet we can do just fine without the recent (2005?) addition of a requirement that there be a phone jack in a house. One wonders how we got along for a century of home phones without there being that legal requirement?

They'll stop writing new codes when we stop using them.