Ditto to what Greg says above. Here in NJ the HIs are Licensed by the state. I have no clue as to what you need to 'pass'.

I field quite a few calls (as AHJ) from people buying/selling resi about Code related issues that an HI has written in the report, and if "I" require the work to be performed. Here is my 'stock' response....

"Call a NJ Lic. EC"

As to what the Ec will do? Check out the structure, and provide a report/estimate on what is an issue. I also mention that the EC will charge a fee for the above. Next reply is "NO, I am not allowed by State Regs to look at the issue".

In my time as an EC, I did a few as favors for neighbors, etc., and took a few HIs to task on 'BAD' reports, almost to the point of 'seeing the Judge', which settled the issue, obtained a refund, and payment for required repairs.

'Certify' can be a legal issue. Providing clear, detailed info on what you find, and what you repair is very important.

BTW, one of the favorite 'boiler plate' HI comments is related to the "Unsafe FPE panel" of the Federal Pacific Brand.

BigB, yes there is and hopefully will be a lot of resi repair & service work. Stick with it if you can.

John