Originally Posted by renosteinke

Could you clarify a few points?

1) How is a 5-ft. deep trench, open it's entire length, considered a 'confined space?'

Company policy calls for any excavation deeper than one meter and or belt depth to be a confined space entry due to collapse concerns, if a person has to lay down in the trench to work and his head or shoulders are exposed to collapse dangers even shallower trenches are confined space permit required.

2) What sort of voltage and current are the cables using?

This is one of the items I sent the electrician off to find out, I suspect 220V and 480V but it could be higher, the electrical department have not gotten back to me yet.

3) How do you plan to get the sand out from around the cables?

The worker will take the "Sweet" sand out by hand tools, this sand is a pure white, sugar looking sand.

4) What condition do you expectthe sand to be in? Wet, with mud mixed in? Clean and dry?

The conditions should be warm and dry but very dusty

5) What is 'sweet' sand? Is it like beach sand, or perhaps like decomposed granite (cannot be compressed)?

It is a very clean fine grained sand, looks like it has been sifted clean of any debris. It is quite compressible.

[i][/i]Our local weekend is coming to an end tomorrow so I might find out more tomorrow. [i][/i