Originally Posted by Merlin
Yes, I understand the alarm configuration. But the network hub with the RJ-31X port is the problem area. It is my understanding that when I unplug the RJ-45 connector that goes to alarm panel, from that port, that the hub should return to normal state. That is not the case. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad master hub?

Also, what is the proper configuration of the RJ-45 that plugs into the RJ-31X port? 568A?? And, which pair would then land on T1 - R1?

A couple of things.

It's not a "RJ-45" plug. It's a 8 position modular plug, wired to a specific standard, which may be RJ-45 (which actually calls for a keyed plug), RJ-48, RJ-61, RJ-31, TIA/EIA-568A or B, etc..

The jack/plug only gains an RJ designation when wired in a specific manner, for a specific telephone application.

Non-telephone applications such as ethernet have never had a RJ designation.

If you actually wire a cable to the RJ-45 spec, it will be neither physically, nor electrically compatible with ethernet.

In this case you are wiring the plug to the RJ-31 standard.

T/R is the incoming line from telco to the alarm panel. T1/R1 is the loop out of the alarm panel to the rest of the phone equipment, which is live until the line is seized by relay in the alarm panel.

Last edited by techie; 04/15/12 05:53 AM.