Well, I think if the inspector determines the patient bed area is now patient care area, which I believe it technically is based on the definition in [NEC 2011] 517.2, then the facility will likely end up having only certain dedicated patient bed locations that are also considered general patient care areas where they can administer the dialysis treatments, unless they want to make the changes to every patient bed location to make them into patient care areas.
I think that could be an issue for a rehabilitation center where there may be a need for several of these locations to be operating at once, but the code says what it says and I think it’s going to be the inspectors call as to which way things go and what will be required.

I don’t really see that the wiring method had any bearing on this, since the requirements for the branch circuit wiring methods and receptacle type appear to be the same for both locations, with the major differences being things like number of branch circuits, number of receptacles, emergency system circuits, etc.