Up at the hospital 0820 this a.m. for the annual Tour de Ward Trente-Cinq cardio and cashectomy sca m n. Sprang lightly up to the 4th floor, got gunked and wired up and did 11 minutes 30 on the exercise bike. Legs went a bit wonky near the end, but all is working AOK so I rewarded myself by staggering to the nearest café for a light repas of choc-breads, hot butter croissants and coffee with those big brown-sugar crystals to crunch....

Started on the horn repair as soon as I got home. I shear-cut a few blanks from 0.015” phosphor-bronze shim, filed to size and drilled for the shafts by super-gluing blanks to an offcut of oak. Bored through, peeled off the finished blades then hammered them flat. I always make spares with multi-setup jobs, just in case. Stripped out the whole switch to get better access. [ Apologies, but pics at this step all failed! ]

[click all pics to enlarge]
STRIPPED OUT SWITCH.
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM, PIC 2. The 3 blade contacts for the horn go between #118 [Blanc/White] through a blade pair to a 3rd sprung blade and then to [Violet/Purple] #110. The horn button closes contacts with a central sprung-shaft running in bakelite insulation.

PIC 3. Rebuilt and refitted assembly. The new blades can be seen just left of the violet sleeved connector. A new 25A fuse [red] is fitted on the original copper suspension arms just in front of the switch assy.

PIC 4. View of dash. Re-assembled horn push at center of rotary switch for lights etc, just to the left of the general electric-isolater pullswitch. The fuel heater button is at right below, with the oil & charge indicator lamps above. Temp gauge, [hidden], far right.

All finished by tea-time and well worth the extra effort. Eggs, fries, mushrooms, peas and bacon tonight, with bread-and-butter pudding. Yum!

Wood work but can't!