John, I'm thinking the same thing (about the possibility of a counterfeit UL label). Thanks for triggering that thought! [Linked Image]

For starters, all current Chinese-made electrical devices that are UL listed must have a hologram sticker. Supposedly this prevents counterfeiting (yeah right :roll eyes: ).

However, the label stuck on the socket is a blue & white plain paper label (like an oval). Kind of an old-fashioned design too, if you ask me. Of course these lamps could have surfaced in some warehouse long before UL's labelling standards changed.

The lamp still has the label...however I threw out the box it came in (not that there was much info on it - no address of an importer, etc.).

I assume there should be a listing number on it. I will check tomorrow when I'm back at work and I will e-mail UL Labs with all the info on that sticker.

I hope they act on it because I checked two other lamps (just for kicks) and they were both like that. Someone who doesn't know what to look for could buy one and get zapped...

Going back to that Walmart to check another lamp is out of the question -- that place was all the way out in North New Jersey somewhere (don't remember what specific town). [Linked Image]

P.S.: This past weekend I was at an Odd Job (a chain of variety stores in this area) and saw one of those caged trouble lights (the ones on 50-feet of SJT orange cord with an outlet in the handle) with AWG-18 SJT cord!!

And there was a UL symbol printed on the paper sleeve!! Didn't have any numbers next to the logo - just the UL in a circle.