I am still not sure what my neighbors are going to do. I think I have them thinking the right way. The snap switch/relay guy is still hanging on but at least he is not back feeding the dryer plug and trying to remember to turn off the main. The solution is elegant, if not totally legal. The only questionable thing is the listing of the relay he chooses. Since we shot down the snap switch idea, he is looking at a motor rated, 30a DPDT Potter Brumfield unit.

It turns out I will end up with a generator out of this whole mess when the dust settles. One of the guys is upgrading from a 5500w Briggs machine and he made me an offer I can't refuse. I am converting it to propane.

I am taking the easy way out with my transfer problem. My main panel is a natural for the main breaker interlock kit and I have always had a generator in the back of my mind so all of my critical circuits are grouped. I can turn off all but 6 breakers and have everything I need covered. I will still need to do some load management but I think I will survive.
My heavy hitters are still my well and house pumps.

Greg Fretwell