Originally Posted by Alan Belson
There's a slight difference between kerosene [petrole] and 6 cst heating oil [fouil or mazout] here. For the burner, the problem is kero's poor lube qualities in the pump, so long-term it's not good but it will work. For a car, same problem. I have a full 1500 liter tank of diesel for the burner, but it's not road-duty paid stuff and it's dyed red. Big, big, fines if you get caught with 'red' in your car, strike or not and the 'bloaters' [gendarmes] can detect 1 part in 50,000! I have a nearly full tank of gazoil in the car and an emergency supply stashed in the tractor, so no immediate problem. I'm using my new electric bike to go to the farm for eggs and milk. 15mph - Zooooooom!!
As to bacteria, yes they can be a problem [or a boon, as in the Gulf off Louisiana], choking the filters. But they can't grow if there is no water in the fuel, so I try to take care to make sure its 'dry'.

Old post but it seems it's the same everywhere,State of California was stopping all diesel fueled trucks & pickups at roadblocks to check for off road fuel & have heard it's a $10,000 fine if you have the misfortune of getting caught w/ red dyed fuel in your tank.

Please keep posting on the progress as it has been quite informative & enjoy reading it.